3500 cupcakes were on site and the funds raised this year ($8000!!!!) is going to Kids Help Phone Canada.
Lots of people (about 700!!!) came to support by buying all kinds of amazingly cute cupcakes, and it was so great. There was a contest as well, for best pro design, taste, best amateur design, taste, etc. The room was hot and it was hard for me to stay focus most of the time, but it was all worth it.
Amaretto cupcake, banana cream cheese frosting and an amaretto dark chocolate truffle in the middle of it all. I thought it was quite good! So I will go ahead and share the recipe with you, because I'm pretty sure some of you out there get weak in the knees when it comes to alcoholic dessert. Ya... you know who you are...
Amaretto cupcakes (makes 24)
adapted from a recipe I found here
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup milk (I used skimmed milk)
- 1/2 cup amaretto cream liquor
- 1/4 cup amaretto liquor or a bit more ;)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (I didn't add this)
Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Alternately add 1/3 of the flour, then the milk and the amaretto cream, then 1/3 of the flour and all of the amaretto, beating well after each addition. Add remaining flour; mix until smooth. Stir in almonds if using.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 375ºF for 14-16 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pans for a few minutes then remove and cool completely.
Cut a cone off of the top of a cupcake, slash a bit of the tip, put a little truffle inside and close it up.
Amaretto Dark chocolate truffles
- 2 oz. cream cheese, soften
- a handful of dark chocolate pellets, or chips, melted
- a shot of amaretto
- a shot of cream of amaretto
Banana cream cheese frosting
- 2 bananas, ripe, mashed
- 4 oz. cream cheese, soften
- 1 cup butter, soften
- 1/2 -1 cup of powdered sugar, depending on how sweet you like your frosting (the bananas will sweeten this a lot already)
Now, here are some of my favorites from Cupcake Camp. Enjoy!!!!
My friend's entry for Best Amateur Design. Isn't it adorable????