And on cold rainy days like these, we can all use some love, hugs and a couple of slices of warm pies. So go call someone you love, tell them that you're coming over in an hour and get in that kitchen!
Quick apple ginger pie(makes 1 pie)
- 2 pie shells (1 if you want an open-faced pie)
- 4 medium apples, peel, cored, quartered and sliced
- a small knob of fresh ginger, a little less than an inch or so, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- about 1/2 cup sugar (I used half brown and half white)
- about 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- about 1/2 to 1 tsp ground nutmeg (depending on how much you like the spice)
- about 1 Tbsp flour
- egg wash, optional (1 egg white and a tsp of water)
- a few pinches of sugar for sprinkles
If you are using frozen pie shells (yes... I cheated... LOL) thaw them out on the counter for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the prepared apple slices, ginger, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour together. Put everything into the first pie shell.
Take the second pie shell and drape over the pie. Make a cross in the middle for the steam to escape while the pie bakes. Brush egg wash on top, and sprinkle some sugar on top, liberally.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or so, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
Now, bring it to that someone and spread the love, one slice at a time.