Sunday, April 26, 2009

Green tea frozen yogurt


Yup, it's exactly what the title says.... Green tea frozen yogurt! YUM!

I found this recipe on Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy who got the basis from David Lebovitz, one of my favorite chefs, whose book "The Perfect Scoop" I just bought yesterday, aaaaahhhh!!!!! (I'm so happy!!!!)

...*catching my breath*...

(I only had full-fat yogurt, not Greek, so I drained it over night. And I also halved the recipe because I only had 2 cups of yogurt left)

Matcha Frozen Yogurt
by Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy
  • 2 cups yogurt
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used powdered sugar because I was paranoid that it wouldn't dissolve)
  • 1 Tbsp matcha powder

Mix everything together until completely blended. Chill in the fridge for a few hours then churn the mix in the ice cream machine* as according to the manufacturer's instruction.

Freeze & enjoy. I know I couldn't stop...

*(If you don't have an ice cream maker, the beat-it-every-30-minutes-for-3-hours will probably work. I made vanilla ice cream like that once and it worked perfectly well)




I'm off to go buy more yogurt for my next batch.



6 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your matcha fro-yo looks terrific, Tramie! I'm so glad you decided to try it, and that you liked it! Well done!

Jennifer said...

I AM SO MAKING THIS!!!!!!! thanks!

Siri said...

I love love love The Perfect Scoop (have had it for half a year now and read it on a weekly basis, trying to figure out which flavor to make next- you should try the blackcurrant tea sometime). I love his green tea ice cream recipe and just started making frozen yoghurt (made blueberry yesterday), so this might be a good one for me over the summer- a little lighter than that heavy, rich, French ice cream!

What a good idea using powdered sugar instead of granulated- I bet it would give a smoother texture. Thanks for the tip!

-Siri

Anonymous said...

so I just tried this recipe but had to use what I had on hand. I had one cup of plain yogurt, but thought no problem, I'll just use vanilla yogurt to make up the rest. Worst idea ever! I also wondered about the sugar dissolving so I used a little honey with the sugar. Also a very bad idea! Instead of tasting like green tea frozen yogurt, it just tastes like vanilla, honey, with a touch of green tea, which tastes nice but doesn't taste at all like what I'd hoped.

"Tramie" said...

Anonymous: Oh sucky! Sorry to hear!!!!

ya, the vanilla must have killed it Im pretty sure... Cuz I mean, honey and green tea together can't be bad... Hope you make it again though, cuz it is so yummy!!!

Coco Cake Land said...

yay, glad i found this post-- am totes adding this recipe to my list of must-makes!! :)

lyndsay :)