Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Piri-piri spiced steak with chimichurri sauce

Last summer we went to a friend's BBQ, and there were sausages, steak, fishes, etc, you know, the usual. And then there was chimichurri, which my bf fell head over heels for, and smeared it on everything he ate.

Then he kept talking about it for days.

So, since one of his favorite food is steak (i can almost hear him agreeing with me: "hmmm... ya... steak...") me stumbling onto this over at the awesome Chef Gone Wild (who now has a new blog at Zen Can Cook) was way too much of a sign.




Piri-piri spice mix
recipe by Chef Gone Wild
  • 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix it all together and rub the steak really well with it.
Then while the steak and the spice are getting to know each other, make the sauce

Chimichurri
recipe by Chef Gone Wild
  • 1 large bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, washed, stemmed and dried.
  • 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 2 Tbsp minced onion
  • 1 small carrot, grated (my bf asked that I omit this next time)
  • 5 Tbsp water
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp chili flakes
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil

In a food processor, whiz the parsley & garlic. Then add everything else except the olive oil & continue. Drizzle the oil through the top in a thin stream.

Done! Now, grill your steak and spread some sauce & the I'm-ignoring-my-better-half-because-I-love-steak scene begins from there.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was that BBQ at my house?!!!
I'm so flattered to be an inspiration for you :D

Miro

"Tramie" said...

Yes honey, it was the BBQ @ your place! :D