I'm sure it happens to you too sometimes... You really don't know what to make for lunch, but you know you have to brown bag it because the day before, you took a taxi to work instead of the bus so the "daily allowance" is gone with the wind.
So in times like this, I raid the fridge & try to be creative. Once in a blue moon I end up with a case of "wtf?" but usually, it's ranged from "OK" to "WOW I didn't expect this!"
Well, today was a "WOW I didn't expect this!"
Give it up for quinoa ladies and gentlemen. Leave it up to these little seeds that look like tiny little condoms when cooked to save the day (Seriously, I didn't make this up, loads of people said this before me, and it's so true!) Toss in a bit of this and a bit of that, and you're ready to put on your healthy attitude face while chomping away in front of the PC.
So here it is, my Saved By The Quinoa lunch salad:
(serves 2-3 people depending as side or main)
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked as according to package (I used red & white, 1 1/2 part boiling water, then throw in 1 part rinsed quinoa, simmer 15 minutes til all water is absorbed)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled & chopped
- a handful of almonds, toasted, chopped
- a handful of dried cranberries
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- a few shakes of garlic powder
- a couple grinds og black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard