Monday, May 18, 2009

Mojito shrimp ceviche



Six Feet Under, season four, episode 50, Claire said to Billy: "Hey, do you like ceviche?" And that's all it took for me to jump out of my comfortable vegging state & head into the kitchen to make some, almost immediately.

See, my goal today was to not get out of the house at all. So I made this ceviche with jumbo frozen shrimps instead of fresh white fish. The lemon juice came from fresh lemons that I squeezed myself & froze in ice cube trays a couple of weeks ago. (It's really hard for me to resist buying a lot of lemon at 10 for $1.79!!! Once the cubes defrost, it's like you had just juiced them)

The marinade was inspired by a Ginger Mojito I had on Friday with some friends. So just like that, the final product is a combination of Six Feet Under, Friday night drinks and a fridge & freezer raid.



Mojito shrimp ceviche

(serves 4)
  • 12 jumbo shrimps (defrosted if frozen) shelled & devained.
  • 2 cups of fresh lemon juice (about 8 lemons or more, depending on the size)
  • 1 tbsp white rum
  • 1 medium-ripe avocado, cubed
  • 1 mango, cubed (I used Ataulfo because that's what I had)
  • about 20-30 mint leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Prepare a big bowl of ice. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt. Cook the shrimps for about 30-45 seconds, then throw them into the ice right away to stop the cooking process. Chop them into the same size as the avocado & mango cubes.

Put lemon juice, rum and everything into a big bowl. Make sure it covers all the ingredients well. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.

When ready, serve with tortilla chips or boiled corn on the cobs.

3 comments:

Justin said...

ooh bold, i'm too scared to make ceviche at home, but i guess that par-cooking helps reduce the risk the mango is perfect for this... maybe cilantro instead of the mint?

"Tramie" said...

ya, cilantro would be great! I just didnt wanna get out of the house to go buy it, lol!!!

chocolatecup said...

oooh. wow. what's a ceviche? lol.anyhow, it looks yum!