See, my goal today was to not get out of the house at all. So I made this ceviche with jumbo frozen shrimps instead of fresh white fish. The lemon juice came from fresh lemons that I squeezed myself & froze in ice cube trays a couple of weeks ago. (It's really hard for me to resist buying a lot of lemon at 10 for $1.79!!! Once the cubes defrost, it's like you had just juiced them)
The marinade was inspired by a Ginger Mojito I had on Friday with some friends. So just like that, the final product is a combination of Six Feet Under, Friday night drinks and a fridge & freezer raid.
Mojito shrimp ceviche
- 12 jumbo shrimps (defrosted if frozen) shelled & devained.
- 2 cups of fresh lemon juice (about 8 lemons or more, depending on the size)
- 1 tbsp white rum
- 1 medium-ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 mango, cubed (I used Ataulfo because that's what I had)
- about 20-30 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Put lemon juice, rum and everything into a big bowl. Make sure it covers all the ingredients well. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.
When ready, serve with tortilla chips or boiled corn on the cobs.