Quiche! And just like that, it was one of the things featured on the menu for my dinner with friends. Since I was going to use the oven, I thought I might as well make two. Serve one and
- 2 deep dish pie crusts, home-made or store-bought.
- a drizzle of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- A handful of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped.
- 1 bag frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed of excess water (about 6-7 oz, a bag is 10 oz but I took out some for something else)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup table cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 wedges of La Vache qui rit cheese
- 1 block of creamy Saint Morgan cheese (this is what I had on hand. Substitute with Brie if you want)
- 16 big pieces of sun-dried tomatoes to decorate top if desired
In a pan over medium heat, drizzle the oil n butter, when butter melts, add the onions and cook until soft, about 10, 15 minutes, stirring once in a while. Then add the handful of chopped sun-dried tomatoes, stir around for a minute, then add the spinach, mix well and take off the heat.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs lightly. Add cream, milk, and break little pieces of La Vache Qui Rit, then whisk everything together.
Slice cheese (Saint Morgon) and put onto bottom of pie crusts, top with spinach mixture, and then egg mixture. Use a fork and nudge the spinach a bit so that the egg mixture fill up every space there is. Top with the rest of the tomatoes for decoration before putting them in the oven.
Bake until the center is just set. Mine baked for about 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes or so before serving.
***Just a little tip for the one you will be freezing. Cool it completely, cut into desired wedges then wrap individually in aluminum foil. Freeze. When you want to eat one, do not thaw, heat it as is, with the top opened, in a 350*F oven, for about 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.