Sunday, April 19, 2009

A day full of lemons

We went to a fruit & vegetable market yesterday, and oh my... I get light-headed every time from excitement... Lame, I know, leave me alone...

One of the many things that I filled my cart with, was a bag of lemon. A LOT of lemon. Why? Because they were plump, cheap, yellow which is one of my favorite colors, and I had limoncello in mind... (This sounds so wrong for some reason...)

So all day today, I busied myself with lemons. Zesting, cooking, juicing, u name it, I did it.

The limoncello requires 2 months to mature, so you will have to come back then to see what happens. All two of you. I know who you are!

For now, I give you Lemon Curd. I got the recipe here from A Chow Life, and altered it a tiny bit



Ingredients:

  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp, chopped in cubes for easy melting.

Make a double boiler (A pot with 1-2 inches simmering water & a non-reactive mixing bowl that fits securily over the pot. Make sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl)

Off the heat, beat the yolks in the bowl. Put in sugar & lemon juice, mix well.

Place bowl over the pot, stirring constantly. Keep heat low. The mix will eventually come to a puree consistency. Drop butter cubes in, one after another and keep stirring til butter is melted & curd is smooth. Turn off heat.

Cool & store in the fridge.



(doesn't that look like egg??? it's awesome!!!!! again... lame, I know... leave me alone)


I put lemon curd and plain yogurt into a half lemon shell. Then happily dunked a moka meringue cookie in (which I made yesterday, but that's another story) and enjoyed a moment between my zesting session for the limoncello.



Yummy in the tummy!

8 comments:

snadersnap said...

lurv it! That looks delicious.

redmenace said...

My mom will be delighted you used her recipe! I'm glad you like it! Love your blog! It's fabulous!

Chocolate Shavings said...

That looks delicious!

Hillary said...

Great lemon curd! I love the play on egg yolk. My lemon curd always comes out too liquidy, it's something I need to work on.

chocolatecup said...

i think i saved like a mil and 1 lemon curd recipes and i havent tried any but this is gg to my mil and 1 too:)

"Tramie" said...

Thank u so much every1!!! Im new @ this & ur support means so much to me!!!!

chocolatecup said...

hey. thanks for dropping by my blog! specially love the 'header' with the painted picture of some kid holding a cupcake:)of course the food looks awesome:) and nice bf u gt there!hope's a keeper:)

Maggie said...

yum... this sounds delicious!