Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dulce de leche Swirled Amaretto Frozen Yogurt



My waffle bowl found a friend.

It was my first time buying Balkan style yogurt, and I really liked it. The taste reminds me of the yogurt I used to eat in Vietnam. The tang tastes different than other full-fat yogurt sold in stores. There's no thick layer of yogurt breath on the tongue after you eat it. Or maybe it's just me...

Even though the 6% Balkan style yogurt is thick, I still drained it before making, and overnight, about 1-1.5 cup of liquid was collected.

Dulce de leche swirled Amaretto Frozen Yogurt
(by Tram)
  • 1 tub of vanilla Balkan style yogurt, 650g
  • 1-2 tbsp of amaretto cream (keep cold)
  • 2 tbsp of dulce de leche, or caramel, or a few caramel squares
Drained the yogurt overnight: line a big sieve with cheese cloth or 3 layers of paper towels, and hang it over a big bowl that holds everything. Make sure the bottom of the sieve doesn't touch the bowl. Put the yogurt in the lined sieve. Cover & keep in the fridge.

When ready, mix the amaretto into the yogurt & churn in your ice cream maker as according to the manufacturer's instruction.

Slightly warm the dulce de leche, or caramel in the microwave for 30 seconds. Or if you have caramel squares, you can melt them & let cool down a few minutes. When yogurt is done churning, layer drizzles of dulce de leche into the yogurt and store in the freezer.



Enjoy a scoop or 2, but I'm warning you, it's addictive!!!

No comments: